Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Joining the 7 Challenge

What does the word "excess" mean to you?  Recently, a friend (hi PWTL) invited me on an interesting journey...a challenge...She handed me this book... "7"  by Jen Hatmaker.   Just a few pages into it and I was hooked...

The cover of this book is quite plain.... plain and simple ( I like that)... 7, an experimental mutiny against excess....

Do we realize how very blessed we are?  Don't we go through our day taking so much for granted? C'mon, be honest...

Jen states very eloquently,  "It's the discovery of a greatly increased God--a call toward Christ-like simplicity and generosity that transcends a social experiment to become a radically better existence."  I love that word "simplicity"...doesn't it just have such a calming effect?

Alene Snodgrass has put out a challenge on her blog.  Use the number 7 as a spring-board to cutting out all the kudzu in our lives, so we can focus on the things that really matter...

So stick with me on the journey for 7 days (Jen's was 7 months, but I think Alene is trying to show mercy to us "excessites" and wean us slowly...thanks Alene!).

Ok, I believe I will be start tomorrow...pick 7 foods that are good and wholesome... eliminate 7 timewasters (social media yikes!)....I'll have to think of some others based on the book...Heck, I used to get a mani-pedi several times a month...I was interacting with customers-I was going to meetings-I was expected to have nails perfectly painted and squared...not rounded....I never thought about how many children in Ethiopia could be fed, for I don't know, like a month or maybe a year on what a mani-pedi costs...

Here is the link to her site...I invite you to check it out and see how this might change your focus...

http://www.positivelyalene.com/?s=7+challenge

4 comments:

  1. love it. Have a good week with your 7. I' doing the opposite and creating 7 food choices ... like actually spending time in the kitchen making 7 meals for 7 days for my kids. Especially breakfast. A little different, but a request that has come from my man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm so glad that you're joining us. AND just fyi, you can do an at home foot scrub for your frugal mani-pedi using course sugar and olive oil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl - I am so glad you are along on the journey. You will be so blessed or wrecked or moved or angry that you ever heard of any-of-us!! LOL

    My week of food has been most interesting. You don' think God could come in and do much in 7 days, but by day 2 I was gasping for breath at what he was stirring in my soul.

    Glad you linked up. There is also a fb page for participants. I encourage you to plug in there too as we all share.

    blessings can't wait to hear more.

    http:positivelyalene.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited to hear about your journey, this idea appeals to me. I saw the book but opted to not purchase-- maybe borrow someday, keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete